The Science and FDA Regulation of CBD – What is the Path Forward?
As client interest in cannabidiol (CBD) continues to grow, health care practitioners are ethically obligated to stay abreast of evolving research, safety, and regulatory developments. Join us as we dig deep into the therapeutic potential and adverse effects of cannabidiol with Dr. Ziva Cooper, Research Director of the UCLA Cannabis Research Initiative. Then hear from Sharon Mayl, Senior Advisor for Policy at FDA about the current safety and regulatory work the Agency is undertaking to keep people safe.
Planned with the Committee for Lifelong Learning
- Discuss current FDA regulations and safety of CBD with clients.
- Describe the purpose and function of the endocannabinoid system within the human body and explain how CBD can impact its function.
- Summarize the state of CBD research by describing the scope, strengths, gaps, and limitations of specific research which could have implications for future medical nutrition therapy guidelines.
- 8.3.6 Keeps abreast of current nutrition and dietetics
knowledge and trends.
- 6.3.8 Interprets, analyzes, synthesizes and critically
appraises research findings.
- 8.3.5 Keeps abreast of changes in practice and
within practice environments that affect scope of
Zachari Breeding, MS, RDN, CSO, LDN, FAND
Food Operations Manager
Denver VA Medical Center
Ziva Cooper, PhD
Director, Associate Professor
UCLA Cannabis Research Initiative
Sharon Mayl, JD
Senior Advisor for Policy, Office of Food Policy and Response at FDA
Food & Drug Administration