Plant Protein in the Kitchen: Evolution on the Bun
Monday, October 19
4:00 PM – 5:00 PM (Central Time)
Level 2 (intermediate knowledge/experience)
Activity Code: 158277
Plant based protein food innovations have erupted driven by consumer interest in meat alternatives, health interests and environmental concerns. This session will take a deep dive into today’s expanding plant protein environment to understand the influence of consumer behaviors in driving plant protein innovations in the food supply and compare the nutritional and culinary profiles of popular plant based burgers.
Planned with the Committee for Lifelong Learning
- Describe consumer behaviors behind the rising trends in protein foods and meat alternatives
- Summarize the differences in nutrition, taste and ingredients among plant based burgers
- Describe culinary approaches for home and institution to achieve optimum consumer acceptance of plant based burgers
- 8.2.2 Applies knowledge of health determinants when planning, developing and implementing services, programs, meal plans and menus.
- 8.3.6 Keeps abreast of current nutrition and dietetics knowledge and trends.
- 9.1.3 Identifies and analyzes factors that influence behavioral change.
Sylvia Klinger, DBA, MS, RDN
Nutrition and Culinary Consultant
Hispanic Food Communications
Executive Director, Industry Analyst – Food Consumption
The NPD Group, Inc.
Jessie Shafer, RD
Director of Influence & Health Education
New Hope Network