Volatility, Uncertainty, Complexity, Ambiguity: How RDNs Can Thrive Amidst the Unknown
Associations, corporations, teams, and individuals operate in an environment that is increasingly volatile, uncertain, complex, and ambiguous, or VUCA. This environment can be overwhelming, resulting in significant disruptions. RDNs and NDTRs are no exception to the impact of a VUCA world in their personal and professional lives.
The session will explore external factors from the organizational and psychological aspects of VUCA to professional and personal implications for RDNs and NDTRs. The session will weave together VUCA principles, including preparedness, anticipation, evolution, and intervention, with an understanding of the key techniques of strategic planning, decision making, risk mitigation, change management, and problem solving. Ultimately, participants will leave with a better understanding of how to thrive in a VUCA world.
- Recognize how volatility, uncertainty, complexity, and ambiguity characterize our current and future environments.
- Identify the principles to successfully navigate a VUCA world.
- Gain practical insight and apply the techniques for RDNs and NDTRs to thrive in a VUCA world.
- 4.2.3 Demonstrates insight into personal expertise
- 3.2.2 Participates in professional and personal
development activities for career growth and skill
- 3.1.1 Identifies strengths and opportunities for selfimprovement and improvement in others.
Rebecca Kelly, PhD, MAE, RDN, LD, FAND
CEO & Founder
Element Health, Inc.
Rory Pace, MPH, RD, CSR, FAND
Corporate Director of Nutrition Services/Chair
Satellite Healthcare/Renal Dietitians Practice Group
David Ballard, PsyD, MBA
Independent, United Kingdom