Healthy Communities from the Ground Up: Empowerment, Sovereignty and Equity in Our Food System
Social movements are changing our world to make a positive impact. This session will focus on opportunities for Academy members to lead, link and learn about innovations that empower communities, broaden practice opportunities and support the tenets of social justice. How?
National leaders will share existing community projects implemented in various geographies targeting solutions to the challenges of food insecurity, health disparities and food sovereignty for America’s most vulnerable populations. Tools, techniques and models will be shared to provide attendees with a roadmap that centers on the power of collaboration and community engagement. Learn a new lexicon and broaden the professional impact in a context that combines food, nutrition and social justice issues. FNCE® 2020 attendees will leave with a connection to join healthy food movements throughout the country.
Planned with the National Organization of Blacks in Dietetics and Nutrition Member Interest Group, Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders Member Interest Group and the Latinos and Hispanics in Dietetics and Nutrition Member Interest Group.
- Analyze the concept of food sovereignty to address health disparities and poverty in our broken food system.
- Describe culturally appropriate strategies and tactics implemented by innovative community-based organizations to address good food for all – especially in vulnerable populations.
- Identify community-driven policy initiatives to develop sustainable local food systems that are rooted in equity and food justice principles.
- 2.2.1 Identifies the need for and negotiates
common ground with customers, interprofessional
team members and other stakeholders.
- 12.1.1 Promotes nutrition programs and resources
to address issues of food security, nutritional health
and overall health and wellness.
- 12.1.3 Collaborates with community partners and
stakeholders in promoting nutritional health and
Cecilia Pozo Fileti, MS, RDN, FADA, FAND
C.P. Fileti Associates, Inc.
Yodit Mesfin Johnson
President & CEO
NONPROFIT ENTERPRISE AT WORK
Clare Fox, MURP
Harry Budisidharta, JD
Asian Pacific Development Center
Winona Bynum, RDN
Detroit Food Policy Council