Expo Theater Events
- Expo Theater EventsPresenter: Chef Abbie Gellman, MS, RD, CDN Sunday, October 18, 2020 12:45-1:30 p.m. (Central time)
Sponsored by the Watermelon Board
This culinary demonstration will showcase nutrition research and health benefits of watermelon while demonstrating tips, techniques and simple recipes for every meal of the day.
Instructor: Caroline Young, MS, RD, LD, RYT Monday, October 19, 2020 8:30 – 9:30 a.m. (Central time)
- Identify why cooking (and cooking demos) can build consumer confidence in the kitchen and trigger behavior change for healthier eating patterns.
- Effectively educate patients/clients regarding basic cooking techniques that can be used at home.
- Utilize “food-talk” to make evidence-based nutrition education relatable to clients.
Sponsored by the National Peanut Board
Get ready to start your day the right way with a grounding, invigorating and joyful virtual yoga class! What’s better than yoga and peanut butter? You will be able to see how peanuts can be a great pre/post workout pick-me-up. This is an all-levels yoga class that will begin with intention setting and a breathing practice to clear the mind. Followed by a yoga flow designed to strengthen and stretch the body and connect it to your mind and spirit. This relaxing and restorative experience should leave you completely refreshed and ready for your day.
Expo Briefing: Making Matters of Bone Health Important for Men: A Summary of the Latest Research FindingsPresenter: Shirin Hooshmand, PhD, RD Monday, October 19, 2020 12:30-1:00 p.m. (Central time)
Sponsored by Sunsweet Growers
Did you know that men have a higher risk of developing an osteoporotic fracture than they do of developing prostate cancer?* Osteoporosis is a disease often overlooked in the male population, but it is just as important for men as it is for females. Join a prominent PhD/RD researcher as she unveils new clinical trial findings looking at the effect of prunes on bone health in men, including the positive effect of prunes on circumference of the tibia (marker of bone health). We will also examine new research on different conditions affecting male bone health, including spinal cord injury and space travel for astronauts, and the effect of prunes to mitigate the bone loss in those conditions.
- Identify the risk of osteoporosis in men.
- Describe the new research findings looking at the effect of prunes on bone health in men.
- Identify the practical application and specifics around including prunes in the diet to help promote bone health.